Re: New draft-draft of sftp...

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> Basically the end result is that for each file system on the host the
> client is going to need to know whether or not the file system is
> case-sensitive or not.  Plus the client needs to know which characters
> are treated as special in the file system.  And which are illegal.

Which makes an assumption that there are sufficient APIs for userspace
applications to enquire on this.   I know of no such APIs on any system.
But I could probably tell you off the top of my head the behaviour of
a few different filesystems.   Encoding this knowlege into an application
is a bad idea.  Writting a standard which encourages this thus a bad idea.

--
Darren J Moffat