Re: New draft-draft of sftp...

Darren Moffat wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>
> > Basically the end result is that for each file system on the host the
> > client is going to need to know whether or not the file system is
> > case-sensitive or not.  Plus the client needs to know which characters
> > are treated as special in the file system.  And which are illegal.
>
> Which makes an assumption that there are sufficient APIs for userspace
> applications to enquire on this.   I know of no such APIs on any system.
> But I could probably tell you off the top of my head the behaviour of
> a few different filesystems.   Encoding this knowlege into an application
> is a bad idea.  Writting a standard which encourages this thus a bad idea.

Exactly.  Which goes directly to reason why globbing must be done on
the system on which the file system is mounted.  It is only on that
system that the appropriate matches can be done by the file system.
Trying to guess what the file system is capable or not capable of will
only produce inaccurate results.

 Jeffrey Altman * Volunteer Developer      Kermit 95 2.1 GUI available now!!!
 The Kermit Project @ Columbia University  SSH, Secure Telnet, Secure FTP, HTTP
 http://www.kermit-project.org/            Secured with MIT Kerberos, SRP, and
 kermit-support%columbia.edu@localhost               OpenSSL.