Re: IESG feedback on core drafts.

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 08:08:59AM -0800, Chris Lonvick wrote:
>    The "none" cipher is provided for debugging and should never be used
>    except for that purpose.  It's cryptographic properties are
>    sufficiently described in RFC 2410.

I believe the "none" cipher has legitimate uses besides debugging.  You
may want the authentication mechanisms provided by SSH, but not the data
confidentiality.  EG: you are copying already encrypted data between
machines that have such low CPU power that encryption is a significant
overhead.  Even if you disagree, *it goes without saying* that you
wouldn't use the "none" cipher where integrity/privacy matters.

If you /were/ to keep this text, shouldn't 'should' be in caps?

RFC 2410 seems too humorous to be referenced in a security considerations
section.  Maybe I'm just in a bad mood though.

/fc