New Proposal for Section 11.3.3 X11 Forwarding

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to work in all of the suggestions for improvements in the text.
It's a bit ungainly to put all of that in a single note so I'm separating
it into subsections.  Here's a rewrite of 11.3.3.  Below that is a
grouping of comments I've seen on this thread.  Please make comments on
this text.  Specific textual contributions will be especially appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

11.3.3 X11 Forwarding

   Another form of proxy forwarding provided by the ssh connection
   protocol is the forwarding of the X11 protocol.  If end-point security
   has been compromised, X11 forwarding may allow attacks against the X11
   server.  Users and administrators should, as a matter of course, use
   all available X11 security mechanisms to prevent unauthorized use of
   the X11 server.  Implementors, administrators and users who wish to
   further explore the security mechanisms of X11 are invited to read
   [SCHEIFLER] and analyze previously reported problems with the
   interactions between SSH forwarding and X11 in CERT vulnerabilities
   VU#363181 and VU#118892 [CERT].  Additionally, they are advised to
   review the problems found and the lessons learned in a paper by Wietse
   Venema [Venema] presented to the 6th USENIX Security Symposium.

   Implementors of the X11 forwarding protocol SHOULD implement the magic
   cookie access checking spoofing mechanism as described in [ssh-connect]
   as an additional mechanism to prevent unauthorized use of the proxy.

[SCHEIFLER]     Scheifler, R., "X Window System : The Complete
                Reference to Xlib, X Protocol, Icccm, Xlfd, 3rd
                edition.", Digital Press ISBN 1555580882, February
                1992.

[CERT]     The CERT Coordination Center
           Software Engineering Institute
           Carnegie Mellon University
           Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890
           U.S.A.
           ( http://www.cert.org/nav/index_red.html )

[ssh-connect]     ssh-connect ID to be replaced with the RFC information
                  when available

[Venema]     Wietse Venema, "Murphy's Law and Computer Security",
             Proceedings of 6th USENIX Security Symposium, San Jose, CA,
             July 1996.
http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/sec96/venema.html