Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-secsh-gsskeyex-06.txt

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, David M. Williams wrote:

>     Can you also send me the .dtd for the XML?  Since Bill seems in
> quite a hurry I thought I'd start now with comments and edits inline to
> my email.  First some notes on my feedback.  I will get as many of these
> edits as possible to you today.

The DTD and the (tcl) code to turn it into an internet-draft are available
from the IETF web site.  I didn't write them; they're the result of some
work that Marshall Rose did.

> Table of Contents (TOC):
>
>     1. I think that we should have one.  The document length falls in
> the optional range,
>     15-20.

Yeah; unfortunately, the code which translates the XML isn't flexible
enough to generate one, which means I'd have to do it by hand, and
repaginate by hand.  Which sort of defeats the point of not just editing
it as text to begin with.

> Change log:
>
>     1. Is not conformant to recommendations in either RFC2223 or
>     RFC2360.

I don't see anything in ID-nits, RFC2223, or RFC2360 that says I shouldn't
keep a change log between versions of an I-D, or that says what form it
should take.  Note that the section will be removed prior to publication
as an RFC.

>     1. Normative References 6-9, must be listed as Non-normative as
> these RFC's will
>     not have  been approved by the IETF at the time of this draft's
> submission.

Incorrect.  The references are normative; that is, they materially affect
the meaning of the document and are required in order to implement it
correctly.  This property does not magically disappear just because the
documents in question haven't been approved yet.  This document can't
proceed faster than the core documents, and appropriate RFC references
will be filled in once they are resolved.

>     2. I believe that 12-14 need to be Informative.  Please correct me
> if I am wrong.

References 12-14 are indeed listed as non-normative references.

> These are the notes I have already and as soon as you can get me the
> .dtd you'll get my diff with most of these changes.  I can provide exact
> references for my notes if anyone cares for clarification.

Thanks for the notes.  Diffs aren't actually required; I'll probably make
the relevant edits during my trip home, along with some other changes that
have been discussed on the list.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <jhutz+%cmu.edu@localhost>
   Sr. Research Systems Programmer