Re: gss userauth

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 12:47:00PM -0400, Joel N. Weber II wrote:
> So, what goals do we have in mind with changes to the spec?  I think
> the requirements we have are basically:
>
> 1) stronger bindings
>
> 2) backwards compatibility
>
> 3) a preference toward ease of implementation
>
> I think we can get 1 and 2 quite easily using either a mic or channel
> bindings.  I think 3 favors a mic, because it's not at all clear that
> channel bindings are particularily mature, and we don't want to have
> to create a lot of infrastructure to be able to solve this problem if
> there's a simpler fix.
>
> Nico, were there other goals you had in mind?

Security. :)

I don't think we can get all those goals with channel bindings _now_ -
we could have, much earlier, but not now that implementations have been
deployed.

As it is I think Jeff's proposal (partial userauth + a new useruath that
has the client send a GSS MIC) is the best approach that obtains all of
these goals.

Cheers,

Nico