Re: gss userauth

On Tuesday, September 02, 2003 15:13:32 -0700 Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams%sun.com@localhost> wrote:

I find this convincing.

I think I do, too. However, I think if we do this, we need to effectively deprecate "gssapi" and make sure that we can use "gssapi-with-mic" even with contexts that can't support integrity, as Joseph described. Otherwise you run into the negotiation problem that Simon mentioned, where you might try the same mechanism twice.

Now, the question is, who should advertise what?

If a new server wants to insist on a MIC when possible, it should advertise only gssapi-with-mic, which makes the client's decision easy.

If it wants to support authentication without a MIC, then you may as well always use gssapi, in which case the server could choose to advertise only that method (as older servers will).

Unfortunately, that creates a problem. There is an unavoidable lack of interoperability between an older implementation which doesn't support gssapi-with-mic and a newer one which chooses (through site policy or implementor choice) not to support gssapi. But we don't want to break interoperability between new clients which choose not to support gssapi and new servers which happen to be operating in compatibility mode. So a server running in compatibility mode MUST also advertise gssapi-mic, so it will work with new clients.

So now, when a new client talks to a new server with compatibility turned on, it sees the server advertise both methods. If a given GSS mechanism doesn't work with gssapi-with-mic, it's not going to work with gssapi either. So the client SHOULD NOT even try it, especially since, as Simon points out, there may be user interaction involved.

-- Jeff