Re: Sftp: performance enhancing changes

Peter Gutmann wrote:
> Joseph Galbraith <galb%vandyke.com@localhost> writes:
>>o Ignoring channel window makes for a screaming
>> sftp transfer. (unacceptable, breaks multiplexing.)
>
> It's only unacceptable if you're actually doing multiplexing.  If you're just
> using SFTP as a secure FTP replacement (which is what many people seem to be
> using it for), it's a simple, quick fix for the SFTP performance problems.

It is unacceptable because draft-ietf-secsh-connect-17
states in section 3.2:

The maximum amount of data allowed is the current window size.
The window size is decremented by the amount of data sent.  Both
parties MAY ignore all extra data sent after the allowed window is
empty.

And our server _will_ drop data that
exceeds the channel window.

The sftp draft can't override this rule, and I
don't think we are going to change the connection
draft.

(To be honest I don't think we should either.)

Sorry, I should have been clearer on why
I thought it was unacceptable.

In addition, proper management of packet size and
channel windows can mean that there is no or very
little overhead from obeying the rules.

- Joseph