Re: Message Numbers and Disconnect Codes

On Wednesday, July 21, 2004 05:40:11 -0700 Chris Lonvick <clonvick%cisco.com@localhost> wrote:

For Message Numbers, I can propose text such as:

   Requests for assignments of new message numbers in the range of 1 to
   127 MUST be done through the "IETF Consensus" method as described in
   [RFC2434].

   Requests for assigments of new message numbers in the range of 128 to
   191 MUST be done through the "Standards Action" method as described
   in [RFC2434].

   The IANA will not control the message numbers range of 192 through
   255.  These are designated as "Private Use" as described in [RFC2434].

Yes, I think that pretty much captures what we're trying to do.

For the Disconnect Codes, I can propose this text:

   Requests for assignments of new disconnect codes in the range of 1 to
   255 MUST be done through the "IETF Consensus" method as described in
   [RFC2434].  Disconnect codes will be assigned sequentially.

Then do we want to partition the Disconnect Code name space?  Perhaps
[1..191] are allocated via the "IETF Consensus" methods and [192..255] are
for "Private Use"?

Yes, it might be good to reserve a chunk of this space for private use.