Re: Message Numbers and Disconnect Codes - Local Use

Chris Lonvick <clonvick%cisco.com@localhost> writes:

> I can specify the term "Private Use" from RFC 2434:
>
>    Private Use - For private or local use only, with the type and
>            purpose defined by the local site. No attempt is made to
>            prevent multiple sites from using the same value in different
>            (and incompatible) ways. There is no need for IANA to review
>            such assignments and assignments are not generally useful for
>            interoperability.
>
>            Examples: Site-specific options in DHCP [DHCP] have
>            significance only within a single site.  "X-foo:" header
>            lines in email messages.
>

> If this is OK with everyone, I can make global changes to the documents to
> reflect that the use of the term "local use" is consistent with this
> definition from 2434.

Sounds right to me. (The text describing private use misses the common
case where a private use identifier is used across sites, by private
agreement, or by convention of some application. A simple example is
the email header "X-Debian-PR-Package:" header that is used all over
the world, for email to and from the debian bug tracking systems. But
we can't really do anything about that).

Regards,