Re: Message Numbers and Disconnect Codes - Local Use

On Friday, September 24, 2004 15:01:03 +0200 Niels Möller <nisse%lysator.liu.se@localhost> wrote:

Chris Lonvick <clonvick%cisco.com@localhost> writes:

I can specify the term "Private Use" from RFC 2434:

   Private Use - For private or local use only, with the type and
           purpose defined by the local site. No attempt is made to
           prevent multiple sites from using the same value in different
           (and incompatible) ways. There is no need for IANA to review
           such assignments and assignments are not generally useful for
           interoperability.

           Examples: Site-specific options in DHCP [DHCP] have
           significance only within a single site.  "X-foo:" header
           lines in email messages.

If this is OK with everyone, I can make global changes to the documents
to reflect that the use of the term "local use" is consistent with this
definition from 2434.

Sounds right to me. (The text describing private use misses the common
case where a private use identifier is used across sites, by private
agreement, or by convention of some application. A simple example is
the email header "X-Debian-PR-Package:" header that is used all over
the world, for email to and from the debian bug tracking systems. But
we can't really do anything about that).

Yes, this is definitely the right approach; it's what the "Private Use" allocation policy was meant to be used for.

I also agree that reserving only 16 codes for site-local use is kind of silly given the size of the namespace. Martin suggested reserving the top 1/256 of the namespace (0xff000000 .. 0xffffffff), which seems reasonable to me. However, I would suggest also reserving the values 0xf0 .. 0xff, since we have said for some time that those values would be reserved and they may already be in use somewhere.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <jhutz+%cmu.edu@localhost>
  Sr. Research Systems Programmer