Re: Message Numbers and Disconnect Codes

Chris Lonvick <clonvick%cisco.com@localhost> writes:

> Are there any objections to this allocation scheme?  If not, I'll use it
> for the Disconnection Code 'reason code's and as the model for other
> uint32 ranges.

Note that the above scheme is applicable only to the reason codes in
SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN_FAILURE.

The reason codes for SSH_MSG_DISCONNECT can not be associated with any
channel type. After all, the transport protocol can be used with
"services" very different from "ssh-connection", and the definition of
the transport protocol should not refer to concepts in the connection
protocol.

(Personally, I don't understand what all the currently defined
SSH_DISCONNECT_* codes are supposed to be useful for. And I find it
fairly unlikely that private use codes at that level will be very
useful either. It's nice to people experimenting with the protocol to
have a local use space, and I fully support reserving 0xff000000 -
0xffffffff for private use, but I don't expect that space to actually
be used very often).

Regards,