Re: Message Numbers and Disconnect Codes

On Monday, September 27, 2004 13:45:59 +0200 Niels Möller <nisse%lysator.liu.se@localhost> wrote:

Chris Lonvick <clonvick%cisco.com@localhost> writes:

> >> 0x0000 0000 - 0xFDFF FFFF        IETF / connection layer
> >> 0xFE00 0000 - 0xFEFF FFFF        channel-type specific,
> >> 0xFF00 0000 - 0xFFFF FFFF        private range, used any way

Are there any objections to this allocation scheme?  If not, I'll use it
for the Disconnection Code 'reason code's and as the model for other
uint32 ranges.

Note that the above scheme is applicable only to the reason codes in
SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN_FAILURE.

Right; the channel-type-specific range makes sense only for messages which occur in the context of a particular channel. Global mesasges like SSH_MSG_DISCONNECT cannot be associated with any particular channel, and should not define this range.

Note that there is no reason to restrict the use of the 0xFE range to privately-defined channel types. It is IMHO entirely reasonable for a standards-track channel type to defined a channel-type-specifc code. Such a code would be specified in the document defining the channel type and would be drawn from the 0xFE range, without regard to use of codes in that range by other channel types.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <jhutz+%cmu.edu@localhost>
  Sr. Research Systems Programmer