Re: SFTP v6?

Niels Möller wrote:
Joseph Galbraith <galb-list%vandyke.com@localhost> writes:
Niels Möller wrote:

4. When a version negotiation failure occurs, both sides
  know why, because they both have the same information.

I tried to change the version negotiation back when
I first started editing sftp so that the server sent
back it's version (V_S rather than V_U)... which
at least gives the server something valid to send
when version negation fails, but we had to back
it out because of backwards compatibility.

One simple idea: In this failure case, server version 6, client
version 4 (say), is there any good reason the server can't send
version 6 in its SSH_FXP_VERSION, before disconnecting? That would
give the client at least some clue. It could reasonably interprete
this response as "This server doesn't seem to support versions below
6", and tell that to the user.

Yes; unfortunately, it is hard to say waht a version 4 client
would do with that, since it isn't legal in the protocol
v4 protocol... if we'd spec'd it that way for 4 it could
work :-)

We could make the change for v6... and the implementation
would have to decide whether to take the risk that a v4
implemenation would behave better with an invalid version
packet or behave better with a silent channel close.

I think I'd prefer to solve the whole ball of wax at
one go... this is an area where we've been bandaging
the protocol for a while for backwards compatibilities
sake.

I'd like to just bite the bullet and get it over with.

- Joseph