Re: SSH implementaion - using MSCAPI Vs JCE

Peter Gutmann wrote:

Anandha S Srinivasan <AnandhaSubramanian%in.ibm.com@localhost> writes:

We are in the early stages of implementing SSH support for our terminal
emulation product (MS Windows based). I would like to see some information on
whether using JCE Vs MSCAPI interfaces will give any advantage with respect to
development of SSH (actually SSH2).

I can't see that either would give any advantage, all you'll be using is very
low-level stuff like RSA, 3DES, DH (actually I'm not sure how widely DH is
supported in deployed CryptoAPI CSPs, that may be a point against it).  So
it's really a case of do you want to be tied to Microsoft Windows or tied to
Java?
I believe last time we looked at it, CAPI didn't expose the DH primitives sufficiently to implement SSH2 on top of them. (I'm a little vague, but I think the problem was that you can't get the raw k out of CAPI, but only a key derived from k by CAPI-- using a different algorithm than that
specified by SECSH naturually.)

- Joseph