Re: Open Issues from Recent Comments

der Mouse <mouse%Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA@localhost> writes:

> > It's not entirely clear to me in which way it is an "internal state
> > bit".  It's documented as
>
> >   PENDIN    If PENDIN is set, any input that has not yet been read is
> >             reprinted when the next character arrives as input.
>
> Documented where?

Sorry, I should have given an reference. This description is copied from
http://www.mcsr.olemiss.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi?termios. A search for
"PENDIN" and "termios" turns up the man pages for a few different
systems. The linux man page is even more cryptic,

       PENDIN all  characters  in  the  input queue are reprinted
              when the next character  is  read.   (bash  handles
              typeahead this way.)

[About utf8 passwords and usernames:]

> *Exactly*.  It seems my choices as an implementer are to give up trying
> to conform to the spec, or rework the entire OS and all third-party
> software to use a character-string paradigm instead of the
> encoding-agnostic octet-string paradigm it currently uses.

I've outlined a simple way to solve the problem for the common cases.
I agree it's not 100% satisfactory, but from my experience, I think
you are exagerating the implementation trouble.

Regards,