Re: UTF8

Niels Moeller writes:
> Markus Gyger writes:
> > Are there any directions on what encoding SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_REQUEST
> > with the "exec" request type should use for the command string
> > (for "subsystem" it is specified but there sems to be no info
> > for "exec" in connect-23)?
>
> I've never thought about the encoding issues for this string before.
> It's not specified. Note that also the channel data is often text, and
> its encoding is also not specified at all by the ssh protocols. In
> practice,
>
>   * You have to guess what character system is used by the default
>     session.
>
>   * This will probably be a pain if local and remote systems use
>     different character sets (say latin-1/utf8).
>
>   * It's easier to let the client environment adapt to the server
>     environment conventions than vice versa.
>
> But for now, users have to ensure manually that they are using the
> same character set locally and remotely. If you e.g. want to login to
> a server that lives in utf8-land, and your local environment doesn't
> use utf8, then you'd better use some local terminal emulator that
> understands utf8.

In the long term, is the idea to use UTF-8 or to have it
configurable? Since currently only US-ASCII is used it's not
much of a problem (I don't know if there are e.g. servers that
use EBCDIC). But how about e.g. the names of environment
variables to be passed or the TERM names passed -- should
they use the same encoding as the channel data (once they
are outside of US-ASCII) or UTF-8 per default?

Markus