Re: Authenticated cipher modes

Derek Fawcus <dfawcus%cisco.com@localhost> writes:

>I've not read Helix.  However in general I'd assumed that use of a encryption
>including integrity algorithm could always simply be used with SSH by
>choosing a SSH MAC of "none".  Certainly that's what I thought when I was
>considering hacking in use of OCB.

That doesn't seem right, it implies there's no MAC at all, and could lead to
problems with e.g. an encryption algorithm of 3DES and a MAC of none.  I think
it'd be more intuitive (and safer) to require that both the crypto and MAC
algorithm to have the same value, since crypto = MAC and MAC = crypto.

Peter.