Re: Authenticated cipher modes

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 05:34, Derek Fawcus wrote:

> I've not read Helix.  However in general I'd assumed that use of a encryption
> including integrity algorithm could always simply be used with SSH by choosing
> a SSH MAC of "none".  Certainly that's what I thought when I was considering
> hacking in use of OCB.

[wg chair hat off; just a suggestion]

how about listing the combined mode cipher in both the "cipher" and the
"mac" lists?  that avoids the unambiguity problem -- if you know what it
is, you'll know to accept it on an all-or-none basis; if you don't know
what it is, you'll reject both instances of it.

						- Bill