SFTP server newline convention

In reading draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-09.txt it seems that the newline
extension is for the server to tell the client what the newline
convention is for text files. This then puts the burden of newline
conversion on the client instead of the server if the canonical newline
character sequences differ.  Am I interpreting this correctly?

If this is the case then it doesn't seem like it makes sense to be able
to specify the canonical newline indicator in the SFTP URI since this is
a server specified parameter and I can remove the parameter from the
current draft.

Thanks,

Joe