Re: Your DISCUSS on draft-ietf-secsh-newmodes-05

Bill:

I decided not to respond immediately to your note. Instead, I thought about it over the weekend. Here is my argument for selecting at least one of these modes as REQUIRED.

We know that the current REQUIRED algorithm is not as robust as we would like. It is not so flawed that we need to rush to a new one, but we should plan an orderly migration. By making one of these algorithms REQUIRED, we are telling implementors where we are going.

I would like to see AES128-CTR be REQUIRED.

Russ