Re: Your DISCUSS on draft-ietf-secsh-newmodes-05

Peter Gutmann wrote:
Jon Bright <jon%siliconcircus.com@localhost> writes:

Having read various other comments and thought about it a bit, my favoured
solution is to REQUIRE 3des-ctr if *any* of the newmodes ciphers are
implemented.

I think 3DES-CTR is even less likely to be supported in hardware than AES-CTR,
for AES it's a new(ish) cipher so people may at some point implement trendy
new modes, but 3DES has been consigned to the legacy bin and is unlikely to be
updated at any point.

So long as the hardware supports 3DES (or even DES) ECB, it shouldn't be more than a few instructions to get 3DES-CTR. As far as I'm aware, there's plenty of hardware that does DES ECB...

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.