Re: IUTF8 pseudo-terminal mode

Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
> I'm removing the Debian bug and original reporter from the CC list; I
> don't think they care about our protocol design discussion.
>

> On Monday, January 02, 2006 05:30:34 PM -0600 Nicolas Williams
> <Nicolas.Williams%sun.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>>> One could argue that an SSH server running on such a system should look
>>> at  the configured locale and configure the PTY appropriately, and
>>> that's  probably even a good idea.  However, a user using 'stty' to
>>> change terminal  modes at the remote end of an ssh connection has an
>>> expectation that the  change will propagate to the local terminal as
>>> much as possible, and the  point of defining a bit for IUTF8 is to help
>>> make that possible.
>>
>> Did you switch local/remote here?
>
> Nope.  If I type 'stty iutf8', stty does an ioctl on the pty slave on
> the remote machine (the ssh server).  My expectation is that sshd will
> notice the change, propagate it down the wire, and my ssh client will
> make the same ioctl on my terminal (assuming, of course, that both
> terminals support the bit).

I don't think this currently happens with any of the bits; the
term bits (if I recall correctly) are sent only from client to
server when the pty is requested.  I don't believe there
is currently a way on the wire for either the or the server
to change their values after the pty is requested.

Thanks,

Joseph