Re: SSH in ECC Internet Draft

    Damien> On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Jon Green wrote:
    >> In the interest of supporting the US government's Suite B
    >> cryptographic algorithms, we have updated an ECC in SSH draft
    >> written by D. Stabila (draft-stebila-secsh-ecdh-01) and have
    >> added Suite B algorithms, specifically MQV to the draft.
    >>
    >> This draft has been submitted to the IETF as an internet draft
    >> and I'm posting it on this list to solicit some review and to
    >> try to generate some interest. Any comments on the draft at all
    >> would be appreciated.

    Damien> [1] does not list any IPR disclosure filed for this draft,
    Damien> despite it containing something (MQV) that is known to be
    Damien> patented by Certicom.  Many points of the draft (e.g. the
    Damien> checks recommended and required in 4.1) seem to point to
    Damien> other methods over which Certicom happens to hold patents.

I'm sure the draft authors are well aware, but by submitting an IETf
contribution such as an internet draft or a message to this list, they
are bound by IETF IPR rules and subject to constraints outlined in the
appropriate BCPs must file disclosures.  If anyone has any questions
about IETF IPR policy I would be happy to answer those questions or
get you in touch with someone who can answer.

    Damien> This working group has so far eschewed patent-encumbered
    Damien> technology, and I really hope that this position does not
    Damien> change.

This working group is closed.  If these drafts are considered for
publication it will be as an individual submission.  However IETF
consensus would be required for publication and the views of the ssh
community would be a strong factor in that consensus.