Re: SSH in ECC Internet Draft

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Jon Green wrote:

> In the interest of supporting the US government's Suite B cryptographic
> algorithms, we have updated an ECC in SSH draft written by D. Stabila
> (draft-stebila-secsh-ecdh-01) and have added Suite B algorithms,
> specifically MQV to the draft.
>
> This draft has been submitted to the IETF as an internet draft and I'm
> posting it on this list to solicit some review and to try to generate
> some interest. Any comments on the draft at all would be appreciated.

[1] does not list any IPR disclosure filed for this draft, despite it
containing something (MQV) that is known to be patented by Certicom.
Many points of the draft (e.g. the checks recommended and required in
4.1) seem to point to other methods over which Certicom happens to hold
patents.

This working group has so far eschewed patent-encumbered technology, and
I really hope that this position does not change.

-d

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_search.cgi?option=document_search&document_search=draft-green-secsh-ecc-00.txt