Re: Publish ID draft-openssh-secsh-compression-delayed-00.txt

[removing internet-drafts@ from the Cc]

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 08:15 -0700, Joseph Galbraith wrote:
> > Isn't this problematic on the client side?  The server doesn't
> > know when the client will receive the SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_SUCCESS.
>
> Indeed.  Seems to me like you'd need a client message saying
> "compression starts after this message" to avoid this ambiguity.

That is a good idea. As other have observed, OpenSSH doesn't suffer from
the race because it doesn't send other packets after authentication.

So we could define a global message with no "payload":

SSH_MSG_CLIENT_AUTHDONE	62

The client would send this message upon receipt of the SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_SUCCESS.
If the client has selected the delayed compression mode, it will be the
last uncompressed message it sends.

-d