Re: maximum size of packets from client to server

I thought it was obvious,

Me too. I found it fairly clear that the two directions of a channel
are mostly independent and that each direction has it's own values for
window size and maximum packet size.

I must agree. This interpretation is obvious, sensible, and is in the spirit of the SSH protocol. This is why the spec doesn't spell it out (though I agree it should).

I think Peter's interpretation is unreasonable.