RE: Feedback from uri list

[Joe] I don't remember why we went with this format, but I agree that
the fingerprint does not belong with user info.  The suggested format
looks OK to me.

> > but I'm unsure if there are implementations that have adopted the
> > original format and what the implications of moving forward with a
> > draft using the suggested format would be.  Can anyone shed
> light on
> > whether they have or know of an implementation using the
> fingerprint
> > in the 'userinfo' section?
>
> I'd also be interested to know whether there are any extant
> implementations; I don't know of any, and a quick Google
> didn't turn any up.
>
> The reason for my interest is a theoretical ambiguity in the
> "host-key-alg-fingerprint" parameter format, which I alluded
> to in my other post (but now wish I hadn't, for reasons that
> will become clear).
>
> The octets within the fingerprint are delimited by hyphens,
> as is the separation between algorithm name and fingerprint.
> I've just realised that this isn't ambiguous with
> fingerprints as currently defined by RFC4716, since there are
> exactly 16 octets and you can thus work backwards to get the
> algorithm name.
>
> To attempt to salvage this post :) I'll bring up the
> possibility of a different number of octets being used to
> represent the fingerprint in future, for instance as a result
> of switching to a hash other than MD5.
> Even then it's hard to come up with examples where the
> ambiguity would matter (especially as such a representation
> would presumably either only be usable with new
> host-key-algs, or would require definition of new connection
> parameters).
>
> Convenient characters other than hyphen for
> delimiting/separation appear to be the other "unreserved" URI
> characters -- "." / "_" / "~". (All of these are valid in
> host key algorithm names.)
>
> In any case, I think none of this would be worth disturbing
> existing implementations for.

[Joe] I don't know of any existing implementations, however this thread
does bring out some issues.  In addition to the one you raised its not
clear that we could move to a hash other than MD5.  This is hard coded
in RFC 4716.  While this probably isn't a problem know it could be a
weakness in the future.  I'm pretty sure I've run into SSH
implementations that display SHA-1 fingerprints as well.   I suppose we
could have an encoding that was something like
host-key-alg-hash-alg-fingerprint.  In order to parse this you would
have to have a list of known host-key-algs and hash-algs.  If you didn't
recognize them then you would ignore the finger print.  There still is a
problem in that there could be some ambiguity where host-key-algs or
hash-algs derive from a common prefix.  At this point, I'm not sure what
to do here or how big of a problem this is.