Re: SSH File Transfer Protocol - draft-moonesamy-secsh-filexfer-00

> The SSH File Transfer Protocol provides secure file transfer
> functionality over any reliable data stream.

Well...it, combined with the rest of ssh, does; sftp itself doesn't
provide any significant level of security, depending on lower layers
for that.

But, really, it provides a lot more than file transfer; it's really a
remote filesystem access protocol, misnamed as a file transfer
protocol.  If you really want a file transfer protocol, I'd suggest
using a slight mutation of FTP (using ssh channels rather than TCP
connections).  But, apparently, people prefer a remote filesystem
access protocol, even a misnamed one.

My reaction upon looking at the draft is "what's the motivation?".
That is, what does this draft offer beyond the existing spec?  (Besides
the version-number regression others have already pointed out.)  If it
really is just the things listed in appendix A, it strikes me as not
worth the version-number confusion.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse