Re: SSH File Transfer Protocol - draft-moonesamy-secsh-filexfer-00

On 2013/07/12 8:42, denis bider (Bitvise) wrote:
A fair number of implementations, including ours, implement SFTP
versions 4 and 6, as specified in:

draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-13.txt

as well as extensions specified in:

draft-galb-filexfer-extensions-00.txt

Just because one open source implementation chooses to be stuck in the
past - apparently because SFTP version 3 is simplistic, and offered most
of what is needed on their target platform - doesn't mean it should get
to dictate the standard.

I did find openssh's reluctance to look beyond the posix filesystem
world somewhat frustrating.

I will admit that the drafts grew much larger than I wanted, but we did
make efforts to make sure implementations didn't have to implement
things that didn't want or could not support.

The latest SFTP version is 6. Restarting standardization at 3 doesn't
mean implementations of 4 and 6 are going to go away. It in fact means
that two concurrent SFTP version trees are going to exist in the future.
I think this is a poor decision, and I do not support it.

Any standardization efforts should continue where these documents left off:

draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-13.txt
draft-galb-filexfer-extensions-00.txt

If OpenSSH chooses to be stuck in the past and implement an older
version of the protocol known as SFTP version 3, then the OpenSSH
project can document the version they implement, but based on one
implementation, that doesn't need to be an internet standard.

I agree with this.

Thanks,

Joseph

-----Original Message----- From: S Moonesamy