Re: further pushing ed25519 sshfp

On Apr 27, 2014, at 10:54 AM, James Cloos <cloos%jhcloos.com@localhost> wrote:

> Can we get an early assignment for algo 4 for ed25519?
>
> We have the draft, software which wants to use it, and nothing competing
> for algo 4.  An early assignment should not be controversial.
>
> As to the other question, a draft to un-reserve digest type 0 instead to
> be "raw" would eliminate the issue of whether 256 bit keys should use a
> 256 bit digest.  Admins could decide for themselves.
>
> Using 0 for raw is natural; "the null-digest" akin to "the null-cipher".
>
> -JimC
> --
> James Cloos <cloos%jhcloos.com@localhost>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6

The registry is IETF consensus which means IESG needs to approve document before IANA allocation.
The SOP is that the requesting document says something like this in the IANA considerations
"Value 4 suggested/requested".
IANA in my experience honors most of these requests.
Given the allocation history of the registry and the fact there is no other draft that is trying to make an
allocation this should happen anyway.

	Olafur