Re: Curve25519/448 key agreement for SSH

denis bider <ietf-ssh3%denisbider.com@localhost> writes:

> Simon -
>

>> A simple approach would be to say that if the MSB is 1,
>> prepend a zero byte.  However, the length difference
>> would leak that information.
>
> The length difference might not be much of a problem, since K is never sent.

It shouldn't be difficult to fingerprint (statistically, over many
connections) if a remote application performs a hash on X bytes or X+1
bytes.  Knowing which leaks the MSB of the derived secret.

I'm inclined to add a security consideration describing this, and allow
for the potential of a nice conference paper describing how to exploit
this observation.  At this point, to fix this (as Damien described)
appear less appealing.

/Simon