Re: SSH v3?

On 02 Dec 2015, at 09:34, Niels Möller <nisse%lysator.liu.se@localhost> wrote:
> denis bider <ietf-ssh3%denisbider.com@localhost> writes:
>> - TCP prevents efficient tunneling of datagram flow over an SSH
>> session: introduces unnecessary lag to maintain stream abstraction for
>> applications that don't need it.
>
> It's definitely possible to tunnel udp over tcp (with or without ssh
> being involved). Whether or not that's good enough depends on the
> application. What are the usecases for udp-tunneling over ssh? You also
> have dtls, which might solve your problem in a better way than ssh (I'm
> sorry I don't know the details of that protocol).

TCP’s enforced in-order delivery on protocols like SSH and TLS that are sometimes used to forward datagrams can indeed create latency problems - and especially “freezes” in audio/video protocols like Skype that easily tolerate a single dropped frame but freak out when a whole RTT worth of frames gets delayed.

For that reason I’ve been hoping for a while now that some of these protocols would adopt something like our Minion approach, which allows TCP-based protocols to deliver tunneled datagrams out-of-order:

	Fitting Square Pegs Through Round Pipes: Unordered Delivery Wire-Compatible with TCP and TLS
	http://dedis.cs.yale.edu/2009/tng/papers/nsdi12-abs

I suspect it wouldn’t be that difficult to evolve OpenSSH protocol to be compatible with Minion and hence able to forward tunneled UDP datagrams out-of-order.  I’d be happy to hear if there’s any interest.  I think it would be easy to incorporate Minion support in OpenSSH in a way that would make things no more complicated for implementations that don’t support it, only a little more complicated for implementations that want to, and ensure that all implementations still interoperate perfectly regardless of which endpoints do and don’t support the out-of-order delivery extension.

Cheers