Re: suggestion for new ssh maintenance wg

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 2:49 PM, denis bider <ietf-ssh3%denisbider.com@localhost> wrote:
>> SFTP v3 - as implemented by OpenSSH and everyone who wants to interoperate
>> with it
>
> Gah, sorry, wrong version. That's SFTP v4, which is also implemented by many
> clients and servers. However, most that implemented v4 by now also implement
> v6.
>
> This is version 3:
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-02
>

> denis bider <ietf-ssh3%denisbider.com@localhost> , 1/29/2016 9:59 PM:
>
> With regard to AEAD:
>
> I think we should just make the following simple and clear statement:
>
> MAC algorithms are secondary to encryption algorithms, and are evaluated
> only if the encryption algorithm is not AEAD. If an AEAD encryption
> algorithm is negotiated, the outcome of MAC negotiation is irrelevant and
> must be ignored. If no mutual MAC algorithms are available, this causes key
> exchange to fail if, and only if, the negotiated encryption algorithm is not
> AEAD.
>
> I believe this is what aesXXX-gcm%openssh.com@localhost does, and is the behavior that
> makes most sense to me.
>

> With regard to SFTP:
>
> We may not have an agreement in what SFTP should be; but by necessity, we
> have an agreement in what it is.
>
> I suggest we should simply do the minimum work possible to promote the
> following drafts to some type of RFC, and call it a day:
>
> SFTP v3 - as implemented by OpenSSH and everyone who wants to interoperate
> with it
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-04
>
> SFTP v6 - implemented by many (perhaps most?) clients and servers
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-13
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-galb-filexfer-extensions-00
>
> This is the de facto SFTP as we have it. Implementers have to follow these
> drafts, so they might as well be RFCs.

Apprently OpenSSH isn't implementing v6, and after looking at it I see
why, although if some other people see uses for it, so be it. If these
aren't RFCs given how important and widely used sftp is (and there
isn't even a draft for the even more useful scp), it raises lots of
questions about what the IETF has been doing, and whether it's worth
it.

--
"Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains".
--Rousseau.