Re: Curve25519/448 key agreement for SSH

Den Mon, 22 Feb 2016 10:08:32 +0100
skrev Re: Curve25519/448 key agreement for SSH:

> "Mark D. Baushke" <mdb%juniper.net@localhost> writes:
>
> > If so, why is the Key Exchange Method name "curve448-sha256" rather
> > than "curve488-sha512" ?
>
> I think Damien Miller's argument for using sha512 here makes sense:
> "curve448 is a backup against as-yet-unknown attacks on curve25519.
> Since we're not likely to need it, we might as well pair it with
> SHA512 as a backup against as-yet-unknown attacks on SHA256."

Hello Mark and Niels.  Indeed there appears to be strong support from
several people to couple Curve448 with SHA-512 instead of SHA-256.  We
are making this change and there will be a -04 out shortly.  Mark's
RFC quoting is a strong reason to make this change, but I believe there
were sufficient motivation to do it anyway because of the hedge aspect.

/Simon