Re: Reference for UTF8 in SSH UTF8 terminal mode

On Dec 9, 2016, at 6:53 PM, Daniel Migault <daniel.migault%ericsson.com@localhost> wrote:
We are looking at which reference to UTF8 we should mention into the SSH UTF8 terminal mode.

[1] mentions that  RFC3629 is slightly out of date and that a reference to ISO/IEC 10646:2014 may also be useful.

Is anyone aware of any deficiencies in RFC3629 fixed in ISO/IEC 10646:2014 ?

The question is whether we should have one reference or both in the draft. Unless RFC 3629 has some deficiencies fixed in ISO/IEC 10646:2014, I am incline to have only RFC3629. Is that something that sounds reasonable to everyone ?

According to RFC 3629:

   NOTE -- The authoritative definition of UTF-8 is in [UNICODE].  This
   grammar is believed to describe the same thing Unicode describes, but
   does not claim to be authoritative.  Implementors are urged to rely
   on the authoritative source, rather than on this ABNF.

The actual link in the RFC for [UNICODE] is somewhat out of date as you said, but wouldn’t the best reference here be to http://www.unicode.org/versions/latest/ listed on the page that the RFC links to? According to that page:

The documentation for the latest version of the Unicode Standard is always found at the stable link: http://www.unicode.org/versions/latest/

This reference also has an excellent appendix which describes the relationship between the Unicode standard and ISO/IEC 10646 at:

The definition of UTF-8 can be found in section 3.9 of the Unicode specification, and the appendix states:

The ISO/IEC 10646 definition of UTF-8 is identical to UTF-8 as described under Definition D92 in Section 3.9, Unicode Encoding Forms

--
Ron Frederick