Re: Terrapin

>> I've mentioned my own understanding of the reason on-list recently;
>> search for "SandP" in your back mail, or the archives if need be.
>> (Most briefly, my understanding is that it's to defeat an attack,
>> but in my opinion there are better defenses.)
> I saw that, but the link posted is 404 (or at least "MySQL error"), I
> assume it's the Paterson et al paper from 2009?

Possibly.  The paper identifies itself as, to quote pdftotext -layout
output,

         Plaintext Recovery Attacks Against SSH

      Martin R. Albrecht, Kenneth G. Paterson and Gaven J. Watson
                      Information Security Group
                 Royal Holloway, University of London
                           Egham, Surrey, UK

I see nothing giving a year.

Since you say the link isn't useful now, for the benefit of people who
don't have git set up or who don't want to clone my whole repo to get
just one file, I've dropped a copy on ftp.rodents-montreal.org in
/mouse/misc/SandPfinal.pdf (fetchable via FTP, of course, or HTTP,
though I'm not sure what Content-Type: the HTTP version will be served
as).

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse