Re: Firefox on NetBSD

On Fri, May 24, 2024 at 10:50:42PM +0100, Robert Swindells wrote:
> I just made the mistake of updating my userland without rebuilding the
> kernel and it wouldn't boot, got a "bad syscall" error when init was
> trying to run /etc/rc. It does boot with a new kernel.

Yes, I hit the same - and it is just a case of the requirement to never
run new userland with old kernel.

The dup3() syscall changed, but new kernel implements full compat for the
old one. However, anything in userland using dup3 will now crash with
new userland and old kernel.

> Maybe this needs a version bump.

According to our rules it doesn't. But we haven't been in this situation
for > 1year (I think), so everyone forgets about the rules :-)

Martin