Re: wip patch for using external git command

Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%mnx.io@localhost> writes:

> * On 2024-06-14 at 13:02 BST, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
>>So if you want to add support for custom git, I think we first need git
>>as a tool.
>
> To be clear this should stay wip-only.  We would never want pkgsrc
> proper to fetch things using git.

Well, never is a strong word.  In an ideal world there would be actual
release tarballs and we wouldn't be using any URLs that generate things.

github culture continues to cause problems, and it would not surprise me
if fetch-via-git is the only mechanism for some package.  At some point
we will probably end up talking about where we are on the "therefore
that package is illegitimate and we don't allow it" vs "maybe we need to
do something about fetching from git".

I agree that we should not cross this line lightly, and i don't see any
reason to cross it now.

I think 'git as a tool' is separate, though, as using git during a
package build is becoming less odd.

However, wip should probably have a way to add wip-only tools.