Re: HEADS UP: plan to switch many ports over to GCC 12 soon

On 6/19/24 07:34, Jason Bacon wrote:
On 6/18/24 13:24, Greg Troxel wrote:
Jason Bacon <jtocino%gmx.com@localhost> writes:

Yep, that works.  So to summarize for posterity, adding the following to

${PREFIX}/etc/mk.conf

will result in a working pkgsrc tree with MacOSX14.4.sdk:

PKGSRC_FORTRAN=         gfortran    # Appears to be default on macOS
GFORTRAN_VERSION=       13

So, for the branch, have we identified a defective sdk, or a defective
12, such that we should in some mk file, conditioned on

  macos
  sdk
  ?

set that, so that building on macs will work?

Do we want to tamper with the mk files, given that this is likely a transient problem with an easy workaround?  This could be fixed by patching gcc12.

The extra patches in wip/gcc12 were working for me a couple weeks ago, but they are not at the moment.  I can dig a little deeper if there's a motivation to fix this before the branch.

The patches are actually still fine. I didn't notice that PATCHDIR is hard-coded to ../../lang/gcc12 in the package Makefile, so I just needed to update it in wip/gcc12.

So wip/gcc12 now works with Xcode 15.3.

I will also test on NetBSD and Alma 8.

If others could test this on other platforms and on macOS with Xcode < 15.3, we might be able to correct this before the branch. adam@ reported that the added patches cause breakage on NetBSD. Probably the safest approach is to tweak the patches so they only apply on macOS with Xcode 15.3+.

--
Life is a game.  Play hard.  Play fair.  Have fun.