Re: OpenSSH/scp ->> F-Secure SSH server Problems

Thor Simon <tls%cs.stevens-tech.edu@localhost> writes:

> > The sftp-server that we ship with OpenSSH is 1028 lines, not counting
> > the infrastructure shared with the rest of the implementation. BTW I
> > don't think that SSH1 is a valid benchmark for comparison.
>
> Well, Niels suggested 5000-10000 lines.  That's "big" by my definition,
> and I do think that it was reasonable to point out that at that size,
> it'd be larger than an entire v1 implementation; that implementation
> was already too damned big for an embedded system, as far as I was
> concerned.

Well, that's because my sftp code by intention is *not* sharing any
infrastructure with anything. I'm copying some code from GNU
fileutils, though, for creating the "longname" strings and caching
info about users and groups.

This is kind-of an experiment. I don't particularly like having to
write yet another sftp server. Markus kindly provided me with (an
early version of) his sftp code for me to look at. But it seemed too
tied in with the rest of openssh for me to use directly. So I'd like
to have a standalone sftp program that isn't particularly tied to
either lsh or openssh. I don't know if the openssh folks are
interested in that, I understand that it is easier to just reuse the
openssh code that they have around.

And it may end up smaller than 10K lines, that was a very crude guess.
The current count is 2000 lines including *everything* except libc, so
perhaps it can be completed well under 3-4K lines.

Regards,