Re: Do we have standards available for scp ??

On Tuesday, January 15, 2002, at 03:54  AM, David Terrell wrote:

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 08:13:36PM -0800, Pankaj Bhagra wrote:
Do we have any standards/draft/RFC for scp protocol. My initial search
over the web didn't returned any relevent information.

My understanding of scp (very very limited) is that it is a wrapper
around ssh. Any pointers in these direction would definately help.

scp is the bsd rcp protocol, exactly.  Only over ssh instead of rsh.

IMHO, it would be strongly desirable to have a (possibly trivially short)
RFC describing SCP.  If RCP is already in an RFC, then it might cite
that RFC by reference and have a page or two about 'what is SCP' and
how it is implemented.  If RCP is not yet in an RFC, then the SCP RFC
might include that protocol definition.

	Either way, we ought not have SCP's definition only be folklore
on IETF mailing lists ("SCP is just BSD RCP over SSH instead of RSH"), IMHO.
I do really appreciate the email here today noting that fact; it is just
that this data needs to be archivally documented (whether or not on the
standards track as WG prefers). RFCs are this community's archival document
series.

	Regrettably, I don't have time to do the SCP writeup myself just now.
Maybe someone else could volunteer to the SSH WG Chair ?

Ran
rja%extremenetworks.com@localhost