Re: Specifying file names in SSH File Transfer Protocol

At 10:02 AM 3/8/2002, Markus Friedl wrote:
On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:01:02AM -0700, Dan O'Reilly wrote:
> Perhaps this is a job for an ASN.1 representation of a complete filename?

you really want ASN.1 in a slim protocol?

Witness the last few message exchanges.  To date, everything has assumed a
UNIX-style filename.  Demonstrably, VMS and UNIX are different, as are other
potential candidates down the road.  ASN.1 obviates filename and path
mapping translation issues.  Now, if there's a better option than ASN.1, I
have no quarrel with using it.  But the functionality supplied by ASN.1
handles this better than anything I can think of.  I grant the point, though,
that it's potentially overkill in this protocol, but you need the functionality.

------
| Dan O'Reilly                  |                                       |
| Principal Engineer            |  "Why should I care about posterity?  |
| Process Software              |   What's posterity ever done for me?" |
| http://www.process.com        |                    -- Groucho Marx    |