Re: 2nd version - Proposal for New Section 11.1 PRNG

Chrris,
I hope that my signal-to-noise ratio on comments hasn't gotten too low that I can't make a few comments on the PRNG section.

Comments below:

11.1 PRNG

the acronym PRNG lacks a parenthetical reference at it's first occurance in the draft.

s/PRNG/Pseudo-Random Number Generation/
with the parenthetical reference in the following paragraphs or

s/PRNG/Pseudo-Random Number Generator (PRNG)/
This is probably not correct per the style RFC.

also we seem to be using the acronym for both "generator" and "generation". Do we care about the gramatical agreement?

  This protocol binds each session key to the session by including
  random data that is specific to the session in the hash used to

maybe this is clearer,
s/random data that is specific to the session/random, session specific data/

  produce session keys.  If the random data here (e.g., DH parameters)
  are pseudo-random then the PRNG should be cryptographically secure
  (i.e., its next output not easily guessed even when knowing all
  previous outputs) and, furthermore, entropy needs to be added to the
  PRNG.  RFC 1750 [1750] offers suggestions for sources of entropy.
  Implementors should note the importance of entropy and the well-meant,
  anecdotal warning about the difficulty in properly implementing PRNG
  functions.

s/PRNG functions/PRNGs/
fixes the usage issue, now all uses reflect the implied "generator" usage.

  The amount of entropy available to a given client or server sometimes
  may be less than what is needed to run the protocol.  In this case

s/sometimes may/may sometimes/

s/to run the protocol/to provide

  one must either resort to PRNGs anyways or refuse to run the protocol.

s/anyways/regardless of insufficient entropy/

  In practice implementors will generally rely on some PRNG.

I'd like to suggest we drop this sentence.

[1750] Eastlake, D., Crocker, S. and J. Schiller, "Randomness
      Recommendations for Security", RFC 1750, December 1994.

--
David M. Williams, CISSP		Phone: 505-665-8062
Systems Engineer, CCN-2			Fax:   505-667-7942

"Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita / mi ritrouvai per una selva oscura /
che la diritta via era smarrita" -Dante Aligheri