Re: Please publish attached draft-ietf-secsh-break-01

> On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 09:48:21AM -0700, Joseph Galbraith wrote:
> >            uint32             break-length in milliseconds
>
> what's the reason for including this in the protocol?
>
> shouldn't the server decide what break-length is reasonable?  e.g.
> depending on what kind of devices is attached?

[wg chair hat off; i also have no no strong opinion on this .. I'm
just attempting to inject data into the discussion]

Telnet has had BREAK since the dawn of time, and it doesn't have a
break-length parameter.

I just looked at rfc2217 (telnet COM port control) which has a few
more extensive features.  I can't seem to find a timed-break feature,
but it has a slightly different approach, which is to have separate
"assert break"/"release break"; but it seems that using this to get a
timed break would be tricky given unpredictable network and server-side crypto
latencies..

Oh, and if I remember I'll ask the guy down the hall from me who used
to work on terminal servers in a past job for an opinion..

						- Bill