Re: Please publish attached draft-ietf-secsh-break-01

Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

Telnet has had BREAK since the dawn of time, and it doesn't have a
break-length parameter.

Telnet BREAK is not in any way associated with serial port break signals.

I just looked at rfc2217 (telnet COM port control) which has a few
more extensive features.  I can't seem to find a timed-break feature,
but it has a slightly different approach, which is to have separate
"assert break"/"release break"; but it seems that using this to get a
timed break would be tricky given unpredictable network and server-side crypto
latencies..

Yes, this is a major flaw in RFC2217. There is no way to get the desired behavior due to the variability of network communications and the inability to force a packet to be sent on the network.

Oh, and if I remember I'll ask the guy down the hall from me who used
to work on terminal servers in a past job for an opinion..

						- Bill

Kermit software has supported since the early 80s both a Short Break and Long Break. A break less than 300ms is short; a break greater than 700ms is long. These due have meanings for some modems and some terminal servers.

Jeffrey Altman