Re: gss userauth

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 10:56:59PM -0400, Joel N. Weber II wrote:
> > Is there a list of GSS-API mechanisms that *don't* support integrity
> > protection?  Could you please post it?
>
> I believe that the SRP GSSAPI mechanism that I've seen an
> internet-draft for but not an RFC doesn't do integrity protection, but
> it does do some kind of key generation.  If you wanted to use that
> mechanism as it is currently specified, you'd probably actually want
> to either find some other GSSAPI mechanism that provides integrity
> protection to use with it, or specify the use of that key generation
> somehow.  Or perhaps the mechanism could be modified to provide
> integrity somehow.

My reading of draft-burdis-cat-srp-sasl-08 is that it does provide
integrity protection.

> But I'm not aware of anyone ever having any actual intent to use
> anything other than krb5 and gsi with ssh-gssapi.

Sun has a mechanism called DH (OIDs 1.3.6.4.1.42.2.26.2.4 and
1.3.6.4.1.42.2.26.2.5).

Microsoft has NTLMSSP.

> (Also, while SASL and GSSAPI are different, many of the obvious SASL
> mechanisms that don't do integrity are things for which there is
> already an ssh userauth mechanism that does some approximation of the
> same thing.)

Right.  Same with EAP.  Basically, anything which can't generate session
keys with which to sign an SSHv2 session ID should be used with
keyboard-interactive or should have its own userauth method.

Nico