Re: draft-ietf-secsh-break-01.txt

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 08:49:25AM -0600, Joseph Galbraith wrote:
> Brian Pence wrote:
> >What was the reason for abandoning this ietf draft?  I've had a couple of
> >customer's request this functionality, but as it was never formalized as a
> >standard, I'm not so sure it's a good idea to implement.  It's not even a
> >working draft any more.  What gives?  What's the plans for this?
>
> Basically, if I remember correctly, we are waiting for the
> the 'core-drafts' hairball to get to RFC status-- I'm not sure
> what the status of this is?????
>
> Once that happens all the other drafts that reference the
> core drafts can move forward.

IIUC, if draft-ietf-secsh-break is ready you can request a WG last call
on it and then submit it to the IESG.  The IESG can actually move to
publish a draft to Proposed Standard before other normative references
that it depends on -- such drafts won't get published as RFCs until
their normative dependencies do, of course.

> I suppose we just need to freshen the draft to keep it alive
> while this process drags on.

Nah, freshen it then last call it.

> As far as being formalized as a standard, it is currently
> as formal as any other SSH2 standard-- so if your implementing
> any SSH2, don't hold back :-)

Heh.

Nico