Re: [psg.com #460] IESG - Transport - Oakley - new proposal (fwd)

(2) I still think it is a bad idea to continue the practice of using
phrases like "group N" to mean completely different groups than the
rest of the community means when they say "group N".

I don't think it's possible to fix that, given that we already have
"diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 mean "well known group 2", (and I think we
have agreed that it is far too late to change our name for that
group). I'm afraid that using both an ssh-specific numbering scheme
(for oakley group 2) and an ipsec-spcific numbering (for oakley group
14) will cause even more confusion than sticking to an ssh-specific
numbering.

Yes, I think we're agreed we can't rename diffie-hellman-group1-sha1.
Personally, I think living with one legacy exception is acceptable, and I think consistency with other usage is more important than consistency with the previous (IMHO poor) choice.

But, I don't think it's more important than getting the documents out sometime this century.

So yes, let's take a straw poll, and move on.

I think everyone knows my position. :-)

-- Jeff