Re: Open Issues from Recent Comments

der Mouse wrote:

I thought that was correlated more with language than with location; is
that a mistaken impression?

I'm English, living in Germany. British English does use longer inter-sentence spacing. German doesn't. I'm also of the opinion that this is language-specific, not locale-specific.

Regarding xml2rfc - I believe this is (nowadays) the standard tool for producing drafts. Certainly, converting the core drafts to a different format at this stage would doubtless be significant effort. I note from http://xml.resource.org that they're now recommending that one submit both text and XML versions, so I think a different tool is probably excluded.

The two spaces issue seems to be controlled by the two_spaces procedure in xml2rfc.tcl. They have a check there for abbreviations, which seems to use the regexps *[A-Z][A-Z] and *[A-Z][a-z][a-z] to detect an abbreviation. It *seems* like this should pick up initials in names and not add a space. But maybe my primitive understanding of TCL isn't sufficient.

I think one could probably disable the whole insert-two-spaces behaviour by changing the content of the two_spaces function to be just "return $glop" (I only think this, I haven't tested). Not what one really wants, but maybe a quick and easy for the time being. Contact with the xml2rfc people will probably produce a better answer, but may take longer..

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.